Some Studies


     The use of puberty blockers is needless and frivolous. It is even more outrageous when you consider the wealth of research that shows that most of these children will outgrow this condition. Consider the following studies:

*Dr. Paul McHugh cited studies from Vanderbilt University and London’s Portman Clinic which showed that 70-80% of children with transgender feelings lost those feelings at some point in time and became comfortable with their birth gender.[1]

*Dr. Kenneth J. Zucker of the Clarke Institute in Toronto, Canada, treated about 500 pre-adolescent children with gender dysphoria over a period of 30 years. From his experience, about 80% of the children outgrew their gender dysphoria and accepted their original gender.[2]

*A 2008 report in The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry says, “Most children with gender dysphoria will not remain gender dysphoric after puberty.”[3]

*Dr. Edgardo Menvielle treated transgender kids at Children’s National Medical Center in Washington, DC for about 10 years. He says that about 80% of the kids reclaim their birth gender, while the other 20% remained transgender into adulthood.[4]

*A 2015 report by Trombetta, Liguori, and Bertolotto says that in the majority of children, GID remits by adolescence, if not earlier. Follow-up studies of boys who have GID indicate that a desistance of GID with a co-occurring homosexual orientation is the most common outcome.[5]

*Gender Trender cites studies showing that only 2% of sex-role non-conforming children will end up seeking surgical sex change, and only about 15% will report some form of continued distress with sex roles post puberty. That means that 85% will end up being comfortable with their birth gender.

*Even The World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) confirms this. WPATH is a pro-trans organization. In their own Standards of Care, they acknowledge that “only 6 to 23 per cent of boys and 12 to 27 per cent of girls treated in gender clinics showed persistence of their gender dysphoria into adulthood.” So 77-94% of the boys outgrew it and 73-88% of girls outgrew it. This organization is an ally of trans people, so it would be difficult to discredit their results.[6]

     Here we have several credible studies, done by different researchers at different places and times, yet, they all got comparable results. So there is no doubt that the results are accurate.  These studies tell us what we should have already known: Most children who have gender dysphoria spontaneously lose those feelings. More than 50% of them outgrow it by adolescence, 80% outgrow it by adulthood, and 99% outgrow it by late adulthood. This is not a shocking result. It should be expected. These are elementary school kids. They will naturally grow up and change. We all have.

[1] http://www.wsj.com/articles/paul-mchugh-transgender-surgery-isnt-the-solution-1402615120.
[2] http://www.tsroadmap.com/info/kenneth-zucker.html.
[3] http://www.jaacap.com/article/S0890-8567(08)60142-2/abstract.
[4] https://www.washingtonpost.com/drug-treatments-for-transgender-kids-pose-difficult-choices-for-parents-doctors/2012/05/19/gIQAxgakbU_story.html.
[5] Trombetta, Liguori, and Bertolotto, Management of Gender Dysphoria, Springer, 2015.
[6] https://www.researchgate.net/publication/265792166_Ethical_Issues_Raised_by_
     the_Treatment_of_Gender-Variant_Prepubescent_Children.
Post a comment
transgender child abuse 3